Big Moves

Over the course of 3 years, I’ve moved for 4 times for work reasons. 

 

Looking back, I never thought that “provinciated” me would actually be in this situation. 

 

When I graduated in 2009, I only saw myself working in my hometown and nowhere else. 

Dumangas 

Fast forward 3 years later or in 2013 when I first made my big move (Iloilo City to Aklan) for work. The promised promotion came only after 5 years. LOL. I didn’t particularly like that delay but I was grateful for my stay in Aklan. It taught me to be self-reliant, resourceful, and independent. 

 

Up until that time, I was living at home with my parents who did almost everything for me. Food was on the table when we woke up and we even our lunch was prepared. Thank you, parents. 

 

But living far away from home taught me that I reveled in my own company and appreciated the solitude and quiet. It also taught me that I cannot live like an island; I needed people no matter how independent or strong I was.  

sharing in Calea's

One icing on the cake of moving to Aklan was meeting my tribe who up to this day remain my closest of friends and of course, the sweetest prize of them all, meeting my husband. 

 

Due to a series of events in the agency I was working in, I was transferred to Roxas City, Capiz. I stayed there for a month. Then, transferred to Iloilo City. I stayed there for another month. Then, I moved to the big city, the place I NEVER IMAGINED MYSELF WORKING IN EVER. Haha. 

 

So, yes, I did get to experience working in Manila (particularly in Quezon City) for 18 months. Since my move coincided with the middle part of the pandemic, movement in the metro was constrained and half of my stay was just me staying at home. Towards the tail end, I finally did a bit of my exploring, riding in Grab or Angkas. The “piece-de-resistance” or the sign that I was metropolitan-ed already was when I knew how to commute via jeepney out of necessity. Taking a Grab or Angkas was not a practical choice given the higher fares proportional to the high gasoline prices. 

 
EK with LAD family

I could proudly say that I lived in Manila and survived (minus an iPhone)! 

 

But as mentioned, another move happened last January this year. I was closer to home but still an island away. It helped that people are Hiligaynon speaking and I have a cozy rental space. The adjustment gets easier every time I make a move. But the physical logistics of it remind me that I cannot accumulate too many things if I want an inexpensive move. 

 

This ends my post for the year. I guess February 8 can be my blog anniversary from hereon. 

 

All through this experience and big changes in my life, I can say time and again, I may be strong, but HE sustains me. 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts