Counting My Blessings: First Independentsary Part I

Today marks the celebration of many firsts in my life. But of course, the foremost celebration is my first year of independent-sary! And since this is indeed a very special, momentous, portentous, marvelous occasion, I shall recount “how many times I love thee, let me count the ways.” From the perspective of my Father.

Just a little backgrounder, prior to this major (and I mean major) move, the longest time I’ve been away from home was for two weeks. Oh yes. I grew up, lived with, was terrorized and loved by, went through different phases of my life with my family. I was not terrified of living away from them (okay maybe just a little) but it was just the familiarity of the company, the cocoon of a safe territory, my habitat. And except for the occasional squabbles, domestic life was tres bien, even tres magnifique.

But after twenty three years, things were about to change. In a big way.
Armed with a week worth of clothes, I took the air conditioned bus going ______to 150 kilometers away from Iloilo City, slept for the most part of the eventful journey and got off four hours later. I could remember that it was a sunny day. Warm, balmy sunny day. As I entered the white iron wrought gates, I took a deep breath and shot a quick prayer, “Your will not mine be done.”

So what may seem like a small thing to a lot of people was a considerable feat for me already. Anyway, moving on a year later, allow me to count (just some) of the ways God has blessed me with and the things I’ve learned from this enriching experience. This sounds like I’m leaving anytime soon. Oh well, that’s up to Him. So just stay tuned.

1. My family is very important to me.
Yes I know this even before going here but it was reinforced even more after moving away from them. During my first two weeks, I called my parents every night. When I went home on the first weekends, there was a pang when I had to leave the house. And by the time Fridays arrived during those first weekends I went home, my steps were lighter, my smile wider, work seemed more enjoyable and time flew and before I knew it, I was onboard the bright yellow, Ceres bus to Iloilo. Aircon or otherwise, I didn’t care! Im going home!

2. Labor is a blessing. Chores can be enjoyable.
Independent leaving meant I had to wash and iron my own clothes, cook my own food, wash my own dishes, do the grocery, fix my stuff and the list goes on. I had to admit it was exhausting at times but it taught me to appreciate even more my parents and the things I took for granted when I was with them. Doing my household chores meant I had to plan my time well and not waste it on meaningless pursuits.

3. Church Family.
Again, I thank God for this big family. I may go anywhere but the thought of some consistency was comforting.

4. Wilyn’s Fruit Stand.
This little vegetarian store by the fruit market was a God given blessing. It opened just about the same time I had moved into this place and it sold chilled vegetarian stuff I cant even find in the big city. They also had the best tofu. It was the premium kind and was so soft and tasty I did not even need to put any condiments on it. Slice and fry and it was good to go. They also sell siopao, fruits, spices, dried food, soya milk, taho among others.

5. Travelling to 17 municipalities of Aklan. For free.
This is a work related blessing. (Although my trips were mostly limited to visits to the public market and LGUs.)

6. Adventures.
One of my most “well-heeled” years. To mangroves and yachts, old churches, glowing white rocks, camels, tallest peak, P 1 million annual membership country club, bearcats and crocodiles, ice-sleds and freezing outdoor cable car rides, innards tickling amusement parks and soaked family bonding rides, garden weddings and cup song recordings and getting lost (literally) in between.

The gastronomic adventure was awesome too! hot chocolate fudge topped with cold vanilla sorbet, lumpia drizzled with yogurt, sidewalk chocomint brownies and red velvet cupcakes, soaked rice drink, adobo century eggs, P 130 eat all you can vegetarian buffet and unlimited sushi, nans and rotis, bibimbap, dinuguan” sauce, delectable calamansi muffin (!), melt in your mouth tofu, smooth, milky, milky fruity fruit shake. The list can go on but I would rather it did not.

7. Boracay.
So I’m not a beach person. I would rather climb a mountain than take a dip in some sodium fortified body of water. But this is the exception. I’m not into the gimmicky, party atmosphere. I’m not into the surfing, skimboarding, island tours, air gliding thing. I’m just there to swim. And swim. And swim. In my (almost) uniform red board shorts and gray sando. Plus the long sleeves. I’m seriously thinking of changing uniforms. Lol.

Boracay has been one of my favorite get-away destressers too. Walking on the wide shoreline with the white calcium carbonate sand underneath on a sunny day with the bluest blue sky above, I would often find myself whispering a prayer of thanks to God. I know life isn’t all about R and R but to be blessed with such a view is just astounding.

8. More spending power. (Read: travel allowance)
Let’s keep it at that. :D When you put God first in your finances, you’ll find out that He’ll give you enough and sometimes even more than you need.

9. Simple living.
Living away from the city meant a simpler living for me. Less eating and staying out and since I was doing field work most of the time so appearance was not high on my priority list. Knowing I could subsist on fresh fruits and vegetables was a significant realization too. One does not need material things to be genuinely joyful. Psalm 16:11 anyhow promises me “pleasures forevermore” and it did not mention a new dress or gadget or a lovelife. It only mentioned being in God’s presence.




Comments

Popular Posts