Connecting Five Years with Two Events

If there was an event that God used for me to have an appreciation for a deeper study of God’s word and its power to transform lives would be the first Faith Camp held at the One Thousand Missionary Campus in Silang, Cavite. I was with my two bestfriends/soul sisters/spiritual guardians Roxy and Jessah. Just a backgrounder, I was a part time volunteer for HCBN and we were asked to make a video promoting Faith Camp for the network. Truth be told, I was half hearted in making that video and I didn’t know what to say since I wasn’t even convinced to go there because I had no job that time and I couldn’t afford it. But obviously, God wanted me to go as He allowed me to buy the ticket on credit via our very kind elder. The three of us were excited to go on the trip. Just some giddy lasses  thinking of the best touristy places to go. God had other plans for us though. I was about to pay our elder upon arrival but he didn’t accept my money because someone had paid it already. Praise God! (I found out much later the identity of the benevolent sponsor who still chooses to be unnamed. :D)

The first Faith Camp was more than what we bargained for. It happened 6 years ago so I couldn’t recall the exact messages I heard but what made an impression for me was the call to take the word of God as it is: alive, powerful, active, relevant.

Fast track to December, 2014, during the Philippine Youth for Christ still at Silang, Cavite, I met a couple from Mindoro who were giving their all to help educate the Mangyans (a local, nomadic tribe) not just with the “basic” education but an education for eternity, introducing them to Jesus and freeing them from the shackles of superstitions that have kept them in the enemy’s hold for such a long time. I was able to talk to them and learn that they too had attended the first Faith Camp Asia and it was there that they asked God on how to serve Him, all or nothing. Hence the start of their ministry among the Mangyans.

Just a short post affirming that travelling brings amazing insights by the power of God (and to remind me, that yes, I have a blog!) And to be more specific, attending spirit filled camp meetings are worth the “expenses” and using up your leave credits. There’s probably no better way to spend your time but through feasting in God’s word. 

This is also an encouragement to everyone, especially the young people to start travelling WITH A PURPOSE while you are young. Those touristy places, nothing wrong with them, will get and does get cliché, but meeting people, hearing their stories, doing stuff that will awaken our heart’s devotion for Jesus, will never get passé.

(P.S. Philippine Youth for Christ will be on October 28- November 1, 2015 in Luzon. Enough time to save up!)



Comments

Popular Posts