Thursday is Choresday

Whew.  Just finished washing my clothes,  bags, and sorted through my locker to get rid of the stuff i don't use anymore. Since I RARELY shop for clothes,  its a wonder why my plastic locker is actually full and why the other is beginning to fill up.  Thankful to thrift shop finds and hand me downs.

Haven't done the sorting in a while since I've been involved in other less productive preoccupations lately.  And I'm ashamed to admit that I'm not particularly fond of doing household chores.  Washing the clothes,  dishes,  cleaning the house, going through my stuff, cooking,  shopping.  Primarily because my parents and my sister (guilty)  spoiled me which is definitely not good and also because I work in the morning and go to school in the evening. Any freetime between (except for Sabbath)  was spent on studying. That was my excuse formerly.  But when I moved out of our house, I was forcibly thrust into the (cruel)  world of adulthood where I had to fend for myself.  That sounds worse than it actually is of course. Haha

While doing my mundane, everyday tasks, trying to rush and get it over as fast as I can so I could do the "more important stuff", I would more often than not sacrifice the quality of my work. In my haste to do so much all at once, I would end up being tired,cranky and pushed beyond my physical limits to the point where I dreaded the next time I had to do it again, finding no pleasure in it at all.  However, God's words tell us that we should do our best in everything we do as working for God and not for men. 

A line from one of my favorite books* on the life of Jesus says, "Jesus lived in a peasant’s home, and faithfully and cheerfully acted His part in bearing the burdens of the household." Here was heaven's best,  the Son of the living God, the Creator, making sure that the dishes were sparkling clean and that the house was dustfree and pleasant to dwell in.  And He did it cheerfully, nary a complaint.  Isn't that amazing? Everything He did, yes even the "mundane" activities were done for the glory of God!

Just a wonderful and inspiring reminder for me (and hopefully for you)  that yes,  taking out the trash, chopping those carrots evenly,  folding the laundry neatly and  ironing those creased clothes perfectly for  myself or maybe in your case, for your parents,  siblings, spouse or children is edifying God.

*Desire of Ages by Ellen G. White

Comments

Popular Posts