7 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Travel Alone




When my sister was offloaded, my innards were in a panicky state. Firstly, I don’t have a sense of direction, secondly, I was going to another country on my own, and thirdly, I might be mistaken for a hapless looking lost kid one can easily take advantage of. Those are MAJOR and might I add, valid reasons. I’ve gotten lost more than once locally already and it wasn’t pretty. 

It was with much prayers and looking nonchalant, like a seasoned traveler kuno, that I was able to get on and off the plane. I just followed the crowd and then got lined up to get my MRT pass. There was a Filipina behind the counter. Thank God. It wasn’t my first time abroad but it was my first SOLO TRIP abroad. 
This is the Station near where I stayed.
I got on the MRT, looking every bit the confident traveler while scanning the stop points. Okay girl, you have to get off at this station… it’s a junction… erm… should I turn to the left or the right?! Aaargh. Ahhh. There, Aljuneid! I got off the bullet train and scoured for my hostel. I booked it online and it was supposed to be just near the train station. My backpack was killing me already. But I still had to appear every bit the confident traveler I was(nt). I asked around, pointed the address, received replies in Chinese and (I think or was it my imagination?) exasperated looks, Don’t you have GPS? I didn’t. The tablet I was lugging was wifi only. My smartphone isn’t on roaming. So much for being prepared.

But I found it and I was one happy camper.  (It really was near the train) I had Indonesian roommates in an 8 bed dorm room. WoW Hostel was the name if my memory served me right. After getting rid of my painfully heavy backpack, I decided to explore the immediate vicinity. (I’m sorry if this is turning out to be a blog about my Singapore experience but I’ll get to the point, I promise). There were a lot of eateries nearby and markets as well. Vegetarian restaurants too! Yay.

The next day, I explored the downtown areas. I was off to an early start since the sun rose at around 7 am already. It was a pleasantly cool and quiet morning. No long queues in the train station. I got my itinerary from the TripAdvisor app. I went near The Eye, crossed the Youth Olympic Bridge going to Marina Bay Sands. The architectural feats almost felt to much to take in at once. I just gaped for awhile looking at all of them. It was a good thing that there weren't a lot people yet. Just joggers doing their morning routine. 

I also went to the mall across the Merlion and took some more pictures. Not wanting to miss out on the on the great view, I put the camera on timer most of the time. I felt safe about propping it on flat surfaces because this is the Fine City. ;) I also went to Funnam Mall, the gadget shop highly recommended by TripAdvisor and got myself a handy dandy powerbank. By this time my handbag was killing me because I had brought my (heavy) tablet and loads of other stuff with me. I then chanced on  ABC, a discount place, selling biscuits, chocolates, etc and bought some goodies to take home and to snack on as well. Then, I waited for my brother and sister-in-law at the Botanical Garden. 

Had to watch the camera. Improvised tripod included any
 flat (and relatively safe) surface to put it on.
Yikes. This was after several tries already.


So yes, I conquered my solo experience, without missing limbs or personal property. (Haha) It was a happy realization that I could do it. That I overcame my fear of traveling…alone. And it helped a lot that the transportation system in Singapore makes it hard for someone like me to get lost. And that it is a relatively safe country. But would I do it again? I could. And I probably would. But given the choice, I prefer not to. Here’s why:


 1.       It’s safer.

  It’s unsafe to put your camera on a timer while you run off so it can take a macro shot of you. (So no, I’m not talking about using selfies and selfie sticks here) The minutes you have your back towards it are just enough for someone to steal it. It’s relatively unsafe for girl travelers to travel alone. I personally haven’t had a bad experience while I was traveling alone, thank God, although I haven’t done it for long.

2.       Beautiful sights are meant to be shared.

 Maybe it’s a personality thing. I can try but I don’t easily warm up to strangers. And I don’t think 3-4 days is enough to be close with a local. But anyway, no man was made an island. “It is not good for man to be alone,” is in the Holy Writ. There’s something about being with a friend or group of friends as you gawk at golden Buddhas in Thai temples. Or arch your neck upwards as you look at the Taipei 101. Or see candy being spun into thin threads in a matter of minutes on a sidewalk in Seoul. Or seeing Lotte World fully lit. You look to your left or right and share unspoken volumes as your gazes meet. Awesome!

With a monk at Ho Chi Minh.


Strawberry picking!

 

3.       If you get lost, at least you’re with someone. 

You’ll share the horror then laugh about it later.


4.       Two heads (and four hands) are better than one (and two).

 When you’re shopping, thinking of buying pasalubong, counting who you might have missed out. You can’t talk to yourself ALOUD unless you have a psychological problem. You can also capitalize on each other’s strengths. You might be better at haggling between the two of you. Your friend might be the more disciplined one when it comes to preparing and following the itinerary. Or you can swap stuff in case you need a new outfit or just plain forgot something. Getting good solo pictures are also guaranteed since you can ask for a second, (or third, or fourth) shot from your friend. You can’t do that with a stranger.

With the Marina Bay Sands Hotel in the background
With the iconic Merlion.

 

5.       It’s cheaper. 

 The pragmatic reason. Four would be the ideal number. That’s the number of maximum passengers a cab can accommodate. And if there are only 2 bathrooms, you still wouldn’t have to wait too long in the morning. I’ve traveled in a group of four, three, two. And even more. Each experience is unique and has its own drawbacks and advantages. But one thing I’ve learned with traveling is that it is a God given tool to widen your understanding in dealing with different kinds of personalities, temperaments, and difficult situations.

 

6.       The food experience will be better. 

There's a reason why movies/pictures usually show someone eating alone to point out that that person is lonely. It's better to eat with someONE. Not something. So that smartphone semi-permanently attached to your hand is not included. Its especially more enjoyable when you’re with foodie friends who enjoy eating as much as you do. I remember eating the famous calamansi muffin for the first time in Real Café at Boracay.  And I just remembered remembering my bffs when I took the first bite of that tangy, sweet, moist and oooh just right muffin.

 Our trip in Baguio last 2013 was literally a food trip as we explored the vegetarian restaurants as well as vegetarian menus in the popular eats there. Swapping milkshakes in 50s Diner, ordering different menus at Bodhi and digging from each other’s plates, tasting authentic som tam and not finishing it in Bangkok, awesome pho in Ho Chi Minh, experiencing the unique ambience in Kalui in Palawan.  (Naks. Place dropping lang?)

Vegetarian delights!


My foodie bffs in Baguio City.

 

7.       It’s not just about the place, it’s the company as well.

 This is a motto I personally believe in. When I think of the beautiful places I’ve been to, the experiences I’ve enjoyed during those trips, it would always be coupled with the people or the person I was with. The memories don’t come back segmented and neatly compartmentalized under two categories: place and people. Even the bad experiences I’ve had with both just can’t be separated. 

Enjoying the milkshakes at 50s Diner.
So does that mean I will never travel solo? As aforementioned, it doesn’t. There are still moments when I revel in being alone.  Case in point, I find driving alone rather therapeutic. And I am used to it. And if there are places or times God wants me to go alone, then I have to. And I know those security concerns will not be a problem at all. But if I can travel with a friend or a loved one, then I would happily choose to do so. :D

On the deeper side of the spectrum, traveling with someone is part of the sanctification process. You might be surprised at how the seemingly inane things can tick you off and make you lose your patience. Admittedly, I get impatient when I have a slow poke companion. I feel like every minute counts especially when you're in another country and you might not go back there ever. Traveling has been God's tool in whittling off that part. Slowly. It is only by His grace that I am more patient now. Just remember that you and your companion/s are works in progress and if both of you are open to the promptings of the Holy Spirit, your trip would surely be a blessing to each other and to those around you.




Comments

Popular Posts