Chillin' in Mararison

Mararison was beautiful. I cannot find another word to describe it. I know that’s a rather simple term and is extremely vague but I can’t help it. It just is. I haven’t uploaded the vlog for my Mararison trip yet but vlogs can cover only so much… photos likewise. I’ve discovered that I’m not much of a photographer of things but of people.

I went to Mararison with new friends, not expecting anything. I just wanted to chill and relax and drive. Culasi, Antique is a two hour drive from Kalibo. I like driving. I am my father’s daughter after all. Although I have to say there are times when I relinquish the driver’s seat when I want to do something else during the drive (i.e. sleep).

From the town proper of Culasi, we hopped on the motorized small boat which we rented and it was a 15 minute trip to Mararison. The ride cost P 1,300 roundtrip.

The boat docked just on the shore near our cottage. No frills, no long walks, no hassles, no waiting in line to pay for exorbitant terminal fees. (Hint: I’m talking about the Bo_____ experience).
The heat was stifling but the cottage provided the cool respite we needed. Facing the grandiose Madya-as mountains in their full glory was enough. Me driving for 2 hours was worth it. Everything. Just. Showstopper. 

But yes, being the itchy feet creatures that we were,  explored the small island. To my surprise, it is a well populated paradise. They even had a kids' choir who were featured in the news. Also, one cannot tour the island alone, you had to pay for tour guide/s (at least two if you are more than 4 in the group). I think that's reasonable considering that it's helping the community. I just hope it doesn't turn into another capitalist's playpen. 

We walked the Batanes-esque ranges in the heat of the midday sun and marveled at the view from the top. It's not a difficult climb but I have to admit the downhill slope was very reminiscent of my Mindoro difficulties: loose rock and gravel going down just isn't my thing. And since we were tired of the heat (not of walking), we decided to ride the banca which offered another splendid view of the island.

We couldn't resist swimming in its pristine waters either! It was rocky though so I had to wear slippers while swimming.

Mararison, in its simplicity and quietness, captured my traveler's heart. ;)

"I won't eat you, I promise!" Photo op with the rainbow fish. I just had to get my hands slimy somehow.

This is how the island looks like from the Culasi drop off. 
White sand, vast blue sky



This is the view going to the top.
The majestic Madya-as peaking at us. One of our companions who hiked there last December said that this is a rare sight since clouds usually cover the top. 

In my colorful, sun blocking garment. 




Final rating: (with 5 as the highest score)

Affordability (value for your money; bang for your buck) - 5

Aesthetic (beauty) - 5

Family friendly-ness- 5

15 stars for Mararison!

Mararison, in its simplicity and quietness, captured my traveler heart. ;)



Comments

Popular Posts