I Almost Got Scammed!


I've been on the look out for a good laptop lately. I sold my netbook for a fraction of a cost because it was stodgy and sluggish and everything I did not want it to be since upgrading it to Windows 10. I didn't expect it to be super fast or anything considering its specs but the boot up... was a test of patience. But not to worry though. I didn't con my way into selling it. It was practically new and unused and I had it downgraded to Windows 7. It was reformatted and performing respectably when I sold it. The missus was one lucky buyer I believe. 

But anyway, just this Sunday, while browsing through Shopee, I chanced upon a cheap Macbook Pro. (Selling for just P 16,500.00) Okay, okay. We've been forewarned several times that if it's too good to be true, it usually is. But I was hoping for it to be legit since the transaction would be done through Shopee and the seller was from the same region I was. Meet ups are still the best safety net in buying gadgets online. 

I chatted with him and he gave me his number. I was already suspicious by this time. When I had my friend call him, he was willing to meet up. I was excited and wanted to just immediately hop on the car and drive more than 200 kilometers. My calmer friend told me that the seller did not promise to sell it to me and was already transacting with someone. The calmer me decided to contact friends who were in the vicinity nearer to where the seller claimed to be in at the moment.

A very kind officemate (props to her!) immediately responded and agreed to meet up with him. I was hopeful and still excited. The seller agreed to meet up at Robinsons Mall. My officemate and her sister went to the mall and waited for him. When I called the seller, he said he was in the parking lot already and would just text me where to meet. I waited for 10 minutes before calling him again. When I called, he just said. "Ay. Sorry po. Nabili na nga taga Maynila." (Sorry. The item was sold to the Manila buyer already).

My first reaction was "Wadaaaaaaaa." My second reaction was, "Nakakahiya sa officemate ko." (I felt bad for inconveniencing my officemate). My third reaction was,"It is true. If its too good to be true, it usually is."

I knew I was a fool for hoping. The telltale signs were already there. He wanted me to transact with him directly and not through Shopee. He wanted to send the money through Pera Padala claiming that he did not have a bank account. He was rushing me to give a down payment even before me seeing the item.

Mind you, Shopee is a legit online marketplace. I've purchased a lot through Shopee already since the products are cheaply priced and the shipping is usually free. A really good deal if you ask me compared to other online marketplaces. They also have a Shopee guarantee which can protect you from fraud or misleading product promotions.

Just a reminder not to act on impulse and to always, always ask prayer for guidance in making major decisions/purchases.



Comments

Popular Posts