I Got Fat, So What?!

I weighed less than 100 pounds 6 years ago. Fresh off college, I was younger, healthier, more physically active. Fast forward to now. I'm weighing a lot more and am less physically active and naturally, older. Recently, I've been the object of not so few unkind greetings which usually go along the lines of, "Tumaba ka." (You got fat.) Yes, to the uninitiated side of the world, that's how Filipinos greet each other. This happens everywhere: in family reunions, church gatherings, work settings, etc etc. Other variations include, "Umitim ka... Tumanda ka... Pumangit ka." (You got dark.. You got old... You got ugly...") 

Prior to my achieving this state, I actually took part in this sad way of greeting people. While I knew that my intentions weren't evil and maybe even borne out of concern, it was only when I was on the receiving end that I knew how annoying it could actually be. Meeting a lot of people one time, I was greeted with the same statement over and over again. It was okay at first but eventually I was like, before you even say something lemme say it out loud, I know I'm fat and am working on it. But that would have been rude. And I would have been thought of as petty. 

I know the physical state is a shallow indicia of the character of a person. But, one's physical appearance can also be construed as a reflection of the inner thoughts of a man. But (digressing once more), there are circumstances wherein one's physical appearance cannot be helped, genetics being on top of the list. Other factors include a debilitating disease, a deformity inducing accident, aging, unbalanced hormones, illnesses and stressors.

I regret being insensitive and careless with my words especially when referring to one's appearance. While right now, I am more game at receiving comments, I am slowly understanding #BodyShaming. Vanity is a sin but being ashamed of one's body, or even worse, shaming a person through hurtful words is a sin as well. I don't say that you shouldn't exercise or eat whatever you want because you are anti #BodyShaming. I say the opposite. And we should also take into consideration those in the process of taking better care of their bodies and of their health. Stop with the insensitive greetings. Let your words be like "apples of gold in settings of silver", fitly spoken.





Comments

Popular Posts